- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 9 hours
- Servings: 8
The exotic scent of curry enlivens this Indian-influenced meatless dish, with lentils and spinach slow-cooked and topped with cool yogurt.
- 1 (16-oz.) pkg. (2 1/2 cups) dried lentils, sorted, rinsed
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1 cup)
- 2 medium stalks celery, cut into 1/2-inch slices (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 extra-large vegetarian vegetable bouillon cubes or 2 chicken-flavor bouillon cubes
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
DirectionsIn 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, combine all ingredients except tomatoes, spinach and yogurt; mix well.
Cover; cook on Low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
About 5 minutes before serving, stir tomatoes into soup. Cover; cook an additional 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Just before serving, remove and discard bay leaves. Top individual servings with 1/4 cup spinach and 1 tablespoon yogurt.