- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 hours 5 minutes
- Servings: 5
Wheat berries, rice and barley add whole-grain goodness to a super side.
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 1/3 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked hulled or pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or cranberries
- 1/4 cup diced carrot
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, if desired
- 1 medium unpeeled eating apple, chopped (1 cup)
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- Sweet Red Onion Dressing
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons grated red onion
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
DirectionsIn 2-quart saucepan, heat water and wheat berries to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 10 minutes. Stir in brown rice and barley. Cover; simmer about 50 minutes longer or until grains are tender. Drain if necessary.
In small bowl, mix dressing ingredients.
In large bowl, mix cooked grains and remaining salad ingredients. Pour dressing over salad; toss. Cover; refrigerate 1 to 2 hours or until chilled.