- 1 lb sprouted extra-firm tofu (we used Trader Joe's organic sprouted extra-firm tofu)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 serano chili, thinly sliced (remove the seeds if you want to cut down on the spice level)
- 1 tbsp roasted/toasted rice powder
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 cup mint, chopped
- fried shallots, for garnish
- 1/2 of an English cucumber, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Bibb lettuce leaves
DirectionsDrain the tofu and place between a few paper towels in order to absorb as much moisture as possible. Set aside for 15 minutes. Once tofu has drained, crumble it with your hands.
Heat the wok over moderately high heat. Add the oil and swirl around. Add shallots and garlic. Stir-fry until aromatics are fragrant and the garlic is just beginning to turn golden.
Add the tofu crumbles to the pan and cook just barely beginning to turn golden, about 8-10 minutes.
In the meanwhile, mix the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar and chili in a bowl. Stir well and set aside.
Once the tofu has finished cooking, add fish sauce mixture and roasted rice powder. Cook, stir-frying regularly, for an additional minute and remove from the heat. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
After the larb has cooled, mix in the chopped cilantro and mint. Serve with Bibb lettuce leaves and fried shallots for garnish.