- Servings: 6-8
- 6-8 oz. bacon (1/2 package)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. water
- 2 1/2 c. 1% milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tsp. chicken base
- 2 red potatoes, diced into small cubes
- 3/4 c. minced onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can corn, drained, or about 1 1/2 c. frozen fresh corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A few dashes of hot sauce (like Tabasco or Cholula)
- Optional garnishes: extra crumbled bacon, shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Directions1. Cook bacon until crisp.
2. While the bacon is cooking, melt butter over low heat in a soup pot. When melted, add flour to make a roux and whisk until it comes together in a little ball. Add water and whisk until completely combined and there are no lumps. Add milk and chicken base or bouillon and bring to a simmer. Add potatoes, onions, and garlic, and simmer (but don’t boil!), stirring very frequently, for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3. Add crumbled bacon and corn and heat through. Add a few drops of hot sauce and then salt to taste. Start with about 1/4 tsp., give it a few minutes, and then add more if you need it.
4. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with extra bacon and/or cheese if you want.