- 1 (28oz) can peeled tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lb. ground sirloin or round
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, cut into rough chunks (I used turkey sausage)
- 1 bunch parsley (I used 1/2 bunch)
- basil, salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. ziti (I also made some GF penne for me)
- ricotta and grated parmesan
Directions1. Drain tomato juice from cans and reserve liquid. Put tomatoes into a food processor or blender; pulse 1 or 2 times until chunky. Simmer, covered, in a large pot.
2. Chop onion. Saute, using enough olive oil to coast the bottom of the skillet, over medium-low heat until translucent. Mince garlic and add to the onion.
3. Put sauteed onions and garlic into tomato pot.
4. Brown chopped meat and sausage in skillet. Add to tomato pot.
5. Add cut-up parsley and basil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for several hours. Add some reserved tomato juice, if needed. (I added it all)
6. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
7. Spoon pasta into bowls with sauce. Add a dollop of ricotta cheese and sprinkle of parmesan, to taste. Finish with fresh basil.