- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin (I also added a couple dashes of garlic powder and chili powder)
- 1/4 cup flour (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 14.5 oz. can vegetable broth
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups (12 oz.) grated pepper jack cheese
- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 box (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 can of corn kernels, drained (used frozen, thawed)
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 corn tortillas
Directions1. Make sauce in medium sauce pan. Heat oil, add 1 tsp. cumin, flour, and tomato paste. Cook, whisking 1 minute. Whisk in broth and 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened--5-8 min., salt & pepper. Set aside.
2. Make filling in a large bowl. Combine 2 cups cheese, beans, corn, spinach, half of green onions, 1 tsp. cumin, salt & pepper.
3. Pre-heat oven to 400. Lightly oil baking dishes. Set aside. Stack tortillas and wrap in damp paper towels. Microwave on high 1 minute. Top each tortilla with 1/3 cup filling. Roll up tightly and arrange in pans (I used one 9x13 pan and saved the extra filling for quesadillas the next day). Pour sauce over and sprinkle with 1 cup cheese.
4. Bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, 15-20 minutes. Cool 5 min. Garnish with green onions.