- Servings: 24 cupcakes
- For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & 1/4 cups cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 24 miniature peanut butter cups
- For the peanut butter buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 & 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two 12-cup muffins tins with paper liners.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter at medium speed for about one minute. Add the sugar and cream for about one minute more, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a large measuring cup, combine the milk, oil, and water. Add the dry and wet ingredients alternately to the butter-sugar mixture, mixing at low speed until combined. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, and mix at medium speed for about one minute, or until the batter is smooth.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups. Press one miniature peanut butter cup into the center of each cup. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting: Cream the butter and peanut butter for about one minute at medium speed. Add the powdered sugar and salt, and mix at low speed until incorporated. Once the sugar is incorporated, add 4 tablespoons of milk. Beat at medium speed for 1-2 minutes, or until the frosting is light and fluffy. Add additional milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency.