- Servings: 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened and cubed
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the pecans, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, and salt.
3. Drop the cubes of butter evenly over the flour mixture, and whisk vigorously until the butter is evenly distributed and the butter pieces are about the size of oats. Measure out 1/2 cup of the butter-flour mixture and combine it with the brown sugar mixture to make the streusel. Measure out 3/4 cup of streusel to be used in the batter, and set the rest aside for the topping.
4. Add the baking powder and baking soda to the butter-flour mixture, and whisk to combine. Combine the sour cream, egg, and vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup. Add the sour cream mixture to the butter-flour mixture and stir just until combined. Add 3/4 cup streusel to the batter, and stir until it's evenly distributed.
5. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups and sprinkle about one tablespoon of streusel on top of each muffin. Bake for about 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center muffin comes out with only a few crumbs attached, rotating the pan halfway through baking. Allow the muffins to cool in the tin for about two minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
If desired, top the muffins with a powdered sugar glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Drizzle the glaze over each muffin in a zig-zag motion.