- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chile powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen corn
- 1 12-ounce beer, or 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 8 ounces cheese, shredded (I used Mexican cheese blend)
- salsa and sour cream, for serving (optional)
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Using the bottom of the pan as a guide, use a paring knife to trim the edges of the tortillas so that they fit in a 9-inch springform pan.
Heat the oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Saute the onion until soft, 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic, chipotle powder, cumin, chile powder, salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans and beer to the skillet, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, 8-10 minutes. Mix in the corn, scallions, and cilantro, and remove from heat.
Lay one of the tortillas across the bottom of the springform pan. Layer with 1/4 of the beans, and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat 3 times, finishing with beans and cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and the mixture is heated through, about 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and unmold the pie. Garnish with remaining scallions and cilantro, and serve with your choice of topping (salsa, sour cream), or as is. Enjoy!