- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans green chilies
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 30 oz. chicken broth
- 3 cups chicken breast meat, cooked & chopped or shredded
- 4 cans white beans, drained
- 1/2 - 1 cup sour cream, optional (I used less than 1/2 cup)
- 4 - 6 oz. cream cheese, optional
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 12-16 oz. grated Mexican blend cheese (or you can use any combination of Monterrey Jack, pepper jack, or cheddar, stay away from mozzarella b/c it is stringy when melted... I only used a handful)
DirectionsIn 4 or 5 qt. pan, heat oil over medium-high heat and soften onion and garlic. Add green chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper. Cook a few minutes, then add broth, chicken, and 3 cans of the drained beans. Mash the fourth can of beans (use a potato masher, fork or pastry blender and mix in a little bit of the broth from the soup to make it a little easier) and add it to the pot.
Turn heat to low, wait until it is hardly simmering and add cheese slowly until completely melted. If you add the cheese while the soup is bubbling ferociously then the cheese will clump and stick to the chicken.
You can add the sour cream, cream cheese, and/or corn if you would like, but the soup is great without them, depends on your taste.