- Servings: 4
- 1 Tablespoon whole grain oat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 1-lb trimmed top round steak or london broil, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 6 whole scallions, ends trimmed and chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 Tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 3/4 cups low-sodium, fat-free beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 6-oz can whole peeled straw mushrooms, drained
- 4 small carrots, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas
- salt, to taste
DirectionsIn a medium bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, and pepper. Add the steak and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
Place a large nonstick soup pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil, then the beef and cook to brown on all sides, about 1 minute per side. Reduce the heat to medium and add the scallions, garlic, and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan, until the garlic is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, soy sauce, mushrooms, and carrots. Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the sweet potatoes, cover and cook unti the beef is tender, 45 minutes or longer. Add the snap peas and cook 5 minutes longer, or until peas are tender. Season with salt and additional pepper. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 days.