- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking dish
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 3/4 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups milk
- (I added 1 1/2 cups pureed fall squash)
- 3 cups shredded Cheddar, divided
- 2 ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly butter a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish.
Bring 6 cups of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni and cook until al dente. Drain and set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring constantly, until tender. Add the flour, salt, dry mustard, and paprika; mix well. Stir in the milk and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. (Add pureed squash here.) Add 2 cups of the shredded cheese and stir until melted. Toss in the macaroni and pour into the prepared dish. Cover the macaroni with tomato slices and season salt and pepper, to taste. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes. The last few minutes, top with the remaining cheese and return to the oven until the cheese melts. (I didn't think this step was necessary, so I skipped it.) Serve hot.