- Servings: 4
- 4 Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 6-oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 Tablespoons EVOO
- 1 head of broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups milk or half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups shredded gouda cheese
DirectionsPlace the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, salt the water, reduce heat a bit, and cook until tender, about 12 minutes. Heads up: about half-way through, you will add the broccoli, so be sure the pot is large enough.
Season the chicken with thyme, salt, and pepper. Heat the EVOO in a skillet and cook the chicken for about 6 minutes on each side.
Add the broccoli to the potatoes and cook for about 6 minutes.
Heat the butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour into the melted butter and cook for 1 minute. Then whisk in the stock and 1-cup of the milk. Thick for 2-3 minutes, season the sauce with salt and pepper, then stir in cheese for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.
Drain the broccoli and potatoes and return to the hot pot to dry out a bit. Mash the broccoli and potatoes together, using the remaining milk to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.