- 1 teaspoon salt-free Mexican or Southwest seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of visible fat
- 1 whole wheat pita
- 2 Tablespoons hummus, preferably red-pepper flavor
- 2 Tablespoons no salt added canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Several red onion strips
- Several red bell pepper strips
- 2 Tablespoons chopped tomato
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons finely shredded Cabot 75% Light Cheddar Cheese
- 4 teaspoons guacamole or fat free sour cream
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 450 degrees. Preheat a grill pan to high heat.
Sprinkle the seasoning and garlic powder over the chicken. Place on the grill pan. Reduce the heat to medium. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and the juices run clear. Transfer to a cutting board and let stand 5 minutes. Chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
Meanwhile, place a pita on the grill. Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted. (I didn't do this, it crisped up nicely even skipping this.) Place the pita on a nonstick baking sheet. Spread with hummus. Top evenly in layers with the beans, chicken, onion, pepper, tomato, cilantro, and cheese.
Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Slice into 4 wedges. Top each wedge with guacamole or sour cream, if desired.