- Day old corn bread, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, removed from casings
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, with leaves, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
DirectionsPreheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Put the corn bread in a large bowl. In a large frying pan, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and cook another 3 minutes.
Add the sausage mixture and celery to the cornbread and mix well. Stir in the eggs, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and parsley. Stir in as much of the stock as needed to make the mixture moist.
Transfer to the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake dressing for 45 minutes, and then remove the foil and bake for another twenty minutes, until light brown and crisp.