This simple side dish is perfect for those nights when you have very little in your fridge. Serve with grilled fish, chicken, or shrimp.
- 1-1/2 oz. (3 Tbs.) unsalted butter
- 12 oz. scallions (20 to 24), thinly sliced, whites kept separate from greens
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1-3/4 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
DirectionsMelt the butter in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the scallion whites, 1/4 tsp. salt, and a few grinds of pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender but not browned, about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer to reduce by half, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until it begins to crackle, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the broth, lemon zest, and 1 tsp. salt; bring to a boil. Cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff the scallion greens and lemon juice into the rice with a fork and serve.