Shredded cabbage pickled in vinegar spiked with pineapple juice blossoms into a bright, refreshing, long-lasting alternative to mayonnaise based coleslaw.
- 1 small green cabbage (about 2-1/2 lb.), cored and thinly sliced (9 cups)
- 1 medium carrot, grated (1/2 cup)
- 7/8 oz. kosher salt (2 Tbs. Diamond Crystal or 1 Tbs. plus 2 tsp. Morton)
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 3/4 cup canned or fresh pineapple juice
- 1 cup small-diced fresh pineapple
DirectionsIn a large bowl, toss the cabbage and carrot with the salt. Let sit at room temperature until wilted, 5 to 10 minutes.
Using your hands, wring out as much moisture from the mixture as you can, and transfer to a large, dry bowl.
Add the vinegar and juice and toss well. If not serving immediately, place the slaw in three 1-quart jars or other sealable nonreactive containers and refrigerate.
Add the pineapple just before serving.