For crispy perfection, a mix of butter and mayo is spread on the outside of this rich sandwich. The mayonnaise raises the butter's smoking point, which lets the sandwich cook longer without burning.
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices black peppercorn or multigrain sandwich bread
- 1-1/2 Tbs. peach preserves
- 6 oz. ripe brie, sliced into eight 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 oz. thinly sliced smoked pork loin or turkey breast
- 1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Tbs. mayonnaise
DirectionsSpread one side of two slices of bread with the peach preserves. Lay two slices of the brie over the preserves with space in between. Top the cheese with the pork loin and sprinkle with the thyme. Top with the rest of the cheese and the remaining slices of bread to make two sandwiches.
Heat a griddle or 12-inch heavy-duty skillet over medium-low heat.
Mix the butter and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Spread one side of the sandwiches with half of the mixture and invert into the pan. Spread the other side of the sandwiches with the remaining butter mixture.
Cook until golden brown on one side, adjusting the heat as necessary, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook, pressing lightly on the sandwiches with a spatula, until the cheese is melted and the other side is nicely browned, another 2 to 3 minutes. Slice in half and serve.