- 6 cups Asian Chicken Stock
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 (5-inch pieces lemongrass), halved lengthwise
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 3/4 cups Jasmine rice
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, plus more to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 Thai bird chili, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fried shallots
DirectionsIn a pot combine stock, shallots, lemongrass, garlic, and rice and bring to a simmer. Cook until soup is thickened and rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low Remove lemongrass and discard.
Add ground pork and stir, breaking up the pork, until pork is fully cooked, about 2 minutes. Add fish sauce, a pinch of salt, and lime juice. Stir in half of cilantro, half of scallions, half of chili, and all of the tofu. Add more fish sauce and salt to taste.
Divide soup between bowls, then top with remaining cilantro, scallions, chilies, tofu, and fried shallots. Serve immediately.