- 12-14 oz smoked tofu and/or 5-spice seasoned tofu
- 2/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
- 2-3 scallions, green and white parts, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp peanut or canola oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed, and mashed with the flat side of a knife
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili bean sauce
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- 1-2 tbsp chili oil
DirectionsCut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Transfer the tofu to a bowl, along with peanuts and scallions. Set aside.
In a small saucepan, combine oil, sesame oil, fermented black beans and chili bean paste. Heat over medium heat until gently sizzling, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking for 30-45 seconds, stirring constantly, until super fragrant. Remove from the heat and stir in soy sauce and sugar.
Pour sauce over the tofu mixture. Add chili oil to taste. If necessary, season with additional sugar or sesame oil. Stir to combine.