- 3/4 lb rock shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 3/4 cup salted roasted peanuts
- 2 bird's eye chilies or 1 Serrano chili
- 2 tbsp dried shrimp (optional)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 lb haricots verts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup packed grated carrots (we bought the pre-shredded ones at the grocery store)
- 1 lime, zested
- juice of 1 lime (plus additional to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (or more to taste)
DirectionsPoach shrimp in a pot of boiling salted water until opaque, about 30-35 seconds. Drain and rinse thoroughly with cold water. Set aside.
Slice the kernels off the cobs with a sharp, thin-bladed knife. Place the corn kernels in a large mixing bowl.
Place the garlic, peanuts, chili(es), and dried shrimp (if using) in a heavy-duty zipper-lock bag. Squeeze air out and seal the bag, then crush everything with a hard object, such as a sturdy mason jar, a meat pounder, or a rolling pin. The peanuts and chili(es) should be finely crushed and the dried shrimp flattened and flaky. Add tomatoes and green beans to the peanut bag; seal the bag. With your hands, lightly squeeze the contents of the bag until the tomatoes are somewhat bruised (and release some juice) and the green beans a bit softened.
Add the contents of the bag to the corn kernels in the mixing bowl along with the carrots and poached shrimp.
Add the lime zest and juice of 1 lime to the mixing bowl.
Add the sugar and fish sauce to the mixing bowl. Toss the salad and adjust the taste to your liking with additional lime juice, fish sauce, or sugar. Serve immediately or cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and keep it refrigerated for no more than one hour before serving.