- For beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp, separated
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 small jalapeno, minced
- 1 tbsp cilantro stems, minced
- 19 oz. can black beans
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves, minced
- For arepas
- 4 corn arepas, heated according to package instructions
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- cotija cheese
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
DirectionsHeat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onions and saute, until beginning to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeno. Saute until the onions have turned translucent, another 2-3 minutes. Add cilantro stems, stir to combine and add black beans and ground cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3-4 minutes. Season to taste with kosher salt. Remove from heat, add cilantro leaves and stir to combine. Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil.
Meanwhile, toss avocados with juice of 1 lime.
Serve beans with avocados, crumbled cotija cheese and cilantro leaves.