- For chicken:
- 4 small or 3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup labneh or plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tsp mint, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- For tomato sauce:
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- For yogurt sauce:
- 1 cup labneh or plain yogurt, at room temperature (if you use labneh you will need to additional lemon juice or other liquid to loosen the yogurt - if you use regular yogurt you can cut back on some amounts)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced and pasted with salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp evoo
- For garnish:
- 1 tbsp butter
- ground sumac
- 4 pides, cut or torn into bite sized pieces and toasted in the oven
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, minced
DirectionsPlace chicken in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and toss to coat. Whisk yogurt, garlic, ginger, paprika, mint and salt in a separate bowl. Pour the yogurt mixture over the chicken and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
About 30 minutes before you are ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come up to room temperature.
Preheat broiler in the oven. Broil chicken kebobs (either on skewers or otherwise) about 6 inches from the broiler until cooked through, about 15 minutes.
Heat a saute pan over moderately-low heat. Add evoo. Once the oil warms, add the red onions. Saute the onions until softened, but not browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and ground cumin and simmer, stirring occasionally, for a few minutes. Season to taste with s&p.
Meanwhile, whisk the yogurt sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Season with additional salt and lemon juice to taste.
Place toasted pide pieces in shallow bowls or baking dishes and spoon tomato sauce over the top. Arrange the kebabs on top and drizzle with yogurt sauce. Melt the butter in a small pan and add in cayenne and sumac. When the the butter starts bubbling, pour over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.