- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 Tsp. vegetable oil
- 3/4 lb. onions, halved and thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (23 oz.) low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine -or- dry vermouth
- 4 slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
DirectionsHeat oil in saucepan. Add onions. Cover and cook over low heat 15 minutes. Uncover.
Add sugar and cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until onions are golden. Add flour and cook and stir 1 minute. Add broth and wine. Heat to a boil. Cook over low heat 10 minutes.
Divide soup among 4 bowls. Top each with bread and cheese.