- 1 3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup stick butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces block-style cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled Rome or Granny Smith apples (about 2 large)
- Cooking spray
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, butter, vanilla and cream cheese at medium speed with a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
In a small bowl combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Place the apples in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the cinnamon mixture to the apples. Mix to coat and then stir the apple mixture into the batter. Pour the batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely before trying to cut. It’s best to use a serrated knife and a sawing motion when cutting this cake. Serves 10 to 12.
Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.