- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground sage or nutmeg
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion (3)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or pine nuts, toasted
Directions1. Rinse uncooked wild rice in a strainer under cold water about 1 minute; drain. In a medium saucepan combine wild rice, the 1 3/4 cups water, uncooked brown rice, bouillon granules, and sage. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, celery, and green onion. Cook, covered, over medium-low heat about 25 minutes more or until vegetables are just tender, stirring frequently. If desired, stir in almonds. Serve immediately, or cool and use to stuff a 3-1/2- to 4-pound broiler-fryer chicken (see stuffing tips). Makes 6 servings.
3. Make-ahead directions: Prepare as above through step 2. Transfer stuffing to a 1-quart casserole. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Stir in 1/4 cup water. Bake, covered, in a 375 degree F oven about 30 minutes or until heated through