- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Servings: 10-12
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked poultry giblets*
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups dry bread cubes
- 4 cups dry corn bread cubes
- 1 to 1-1/3 cups chicken broth or water
Directions1. In a small saucepan cook celery and onion in margarine or butter until tender; remove from heat. Stir in giblets, poultry seasoning or sage, pepper, and salt.
2. In a large mixing bowl place dry bread and corn bread cubes; add the onion mixture. Drizzle with enough broth or water to moisten, tossing lightly to mix. Transfer to a 2-quart casserole. Cover and bake in a 325 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until heated through. (Or, use to stuff a 10- to 12-pound turkey; see directions for Classic Roast Turkey.) Makes 8 cups (10 to 12 servings).
Note: To cook giblets: Rinse giblets and neck. Refrigerate liver until needed. In a medium saucepan place remaining giblets and neck. Add enough lightly salted water to cover. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add liver and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove giblets and finely chop. Discard neck. Strain broth. Chill giblets and broth until needed.