- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Servings: 4 servings
- 1-1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 cup red curry paste
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/4 cup fresh coconut milk* (or one 13.5-oz. can unsweetened or reduced fat coconut milk)
- 1-1/2 cups purchased matchstick carrots or 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. finely shredded lime peel
- Hot cooked rice
- Toasted Fresh Coconut Curls**
- Fresh snipped cilantro
Directions1. In a bowl combine chicken and curry paste; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, onion, and chicken mixture. Cook over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
3. Remove chicken from skillet. Carefully add coconut milk to skillet, scraping up crusty bits. Add carrots and lime peel. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Return chicken mixture to skillet. Simmer, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until liquid thickens slightly. Serve with rice, coconut curls, and snipped cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
*Making Fresh Coconut Milk: Cut the tip from a young coconut (photo, right). Pour out coconut liquid; scoop out coconut meat. In a blender container combine coconut liquid and meat; cover and blend until nearly smooth. Add enough chicken or vegetable broth to make 1-1/4 cups.
**Toasted coconut curls: Separate coconut meat from the shell in large pieces. Slice thinly with a vegetable peeler. Arrange slices on a baking sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 2 to 3 minutes or until edges just start to brown. Cool on baking sheet.