- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 12
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 6-ounce carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup chopped pecans, black walnuts, or hickory nuts
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease the bottom and 1 inch up the side of a 1-1/2-quart casserole; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, applesauce, yogurt, brown sugar, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy.) Fold in nuts and raisins. Spoon batter into the prepared casserole. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning.
4. Cool in casserole on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove bread from casserole. Cool completely on wire rack. If desired, wrap and store overnight before slicing (bread will be slightly moister the second day).