- Prep Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Servings: 1 dozen or 12 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk*
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
Directions1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine egg, pumpkin, buttermilk, applesauce, brown sugar, and oil; add pumpkin mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
3. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean.
4. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm. Makes 12 muffins.
*Test Kitchen Tip: To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let mixture stand for 5 minutes before using.