- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 1 dozen or 12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 cup coarsely chopped cranberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Directions1. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set muffin cups aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal, the 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
3. In a small mixing bowl combine egg, buttermilk, cooking oil, and lemon peel. Add egg mixture all at once to dry ingredients. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). In another small mixing bowl combine cranberries and the 2 tablespoons sugar. Fold cranberries and walnuts into muffin batter. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.
4. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Remove muffins from muffin cups. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 12 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare muffins; cool. Wrap and freeze up to 3 months. To reheat: Wrap muffins in heavy foil. Heat in a 300 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes.