- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 1-2 minutes
- Servings: Varied
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk or sour milk (see tip)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- Desired fruit options (optional)*
- Desired syrup (optional)
Directions1. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine egg, buttermilk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy). If desired, stir in desired fruit.
2. For standard-size pancakes, pour about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet, spreading batter if necessary. For dollar-size pancakes, use about 1 tablespoon batter. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown, turning to second sides when pancakes have bubbly surfaces and edges are slightly dry. Serve warm. If desired, top with syrup. Makes 12 standard-size pancakes or 40 dollar-size pancakes.
3. *Fruit Options: Stir one of the following fruits into the pancake batter: 1/2 cup chopped fresh apple, apricot, peach, nectarine, or pear; 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries; or 1/4 cup chopped dried apple, pear, apricot, raisins, currants, dates, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, or mixed fruit.
4. Pancakes: Prepare Buttermilk Pancakes as above, except substitute milk for buttermilk, increase baking powder to 1 tablespoon, and omit the baking soda.
5. Whole Wheat Pancakes: Prepare Buttermilk Pancakes as above, except substitute whole wheat flour for the all-purpose flour and packed brown sugar for the granulated sugar.
6. Buckwheat Pancakes: Prepare Buttermilk Pancakes as above, except use 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and add 1 cup buckwheat flour.
7. Cornmeal Pancakes: Prepare Buttermilk Pancakes as above, except use 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/2 cup cornmeal.
8. Bran Pancakes: Prepare Buttermilk Pancakes as above, except use 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour and add 1/4 cup oat bran, wheat bran, or toasted wheat germ.