- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Servings: 16 cakes
- 2 large cooking apples, such as Jonathon or Granny Smith, peeled if desired, and finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil or melted butter
- 1 recipe Spiced Cider Syrup (see Recipe Center), pure maple syrup, or maple-flavored syrup
Directions1. In a medium bowl, combine apples and lemon juice. In another medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a small bowl, combine egg, milk, and oil. Set aside.
2. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (the batter should be lumpy). Gently fold in the apple mixture.
3. Heat a lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat until a few drops of water dance across the surface. For each pancake, pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter onto the hot griddle; spread batter into 4-inch circle.
4. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden, turning to second sides when pancake surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry, adding oil to griddle as necessary. Serve warm with syrup. Makes 16 (4-inch) pancakes.