- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 of a vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb. thin green beans, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces (3 to 3 1/2 cups)
- Steamed Green Beans (see recipe below) (optional)
- Herbed Sourdough Breadsticks (see recipe below) (optional)
Directions1. In a large saucepan, bring the broth, onion, and vanilla bean to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Discard vanilla bean.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the butter and flour. Whisk into broth mixture. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
3. Add beans to broth mixture. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes more or until beans are crisp-tender. Ladle into bowls. If desired, garnish with steamed green beans and serve with Herbed Sourdough Breadsticks. Makes 6 to 8 side-dish servings.
Steamed Green Beans: Place 1/2 pound thin green beans in a steamer basket. Cover and steam over boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
Herbed Sourdough Breadsticks: Preheat oven to 375 degree F. Cut half of a 12-inch sourdough baguette lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices. Cut into 1-inch-wide sticks. Brush cut surfaces evenly with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon snipped fresh thyme. Place on baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 16 minutes or until golden.