- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 14-oz. cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo or wild rice
- 1- 1/2 cups half-and-half, light cream, or milk
- 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 15-oz. can pumpkin
- Cracked black pepper (optional)
Directions1. In a large saucepan melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in crushed red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Add broth; bring to boiling. Stir in orzo or rice. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 10 minutes for orzo or 40 minutes for wild rice or until orzo or rice is tender.
2. In a screw-top jar combine half-and-half and flour. Cover; shake well to combine. Stir into orzo mixture; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in pumpkin; heat through. Transfer to an insulated container. Sprinkle each serving with cracked black pepper.