- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 6-8
- 15 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp. olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 4 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 14-oz. cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 lb. round red potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Water (optional)
- 1/2 cup dairy sour cream (optional)
- 1 recipe Toasted Christmas Balls and Stars with Onion-Grape Marmalade
- Snipped chives (optional)
Directions1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place garlic cloves in custard cup; drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil. Roast in oven 25 to 35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed; set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble bacon; set aside.
3. Cook leeks in bacon drippings about 5 minutes or until softened but not browned. Add broth, water, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in garlic.
4. In food processor or blender container, pour half the soup mixture. Cover; process until smooth. Repeat with remaining soup.
5. Return soup to Dutch oven. Add bacon. Heat through. Thin with water to desired consistency. Ladle into bowls. Top with sour cream. Float Toasted Stars. Sprinkle chives. Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Three days ahead prepare soup as directed through step 5, leaving out crumbled bacon. Cover; refrigerate. Two hours before serving, transfer soup to saucepan; reheat over medium heat about 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly, stirring occasionally. To keep warm transfer to slow cooker set on warm.To serve, stir in bacon