- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 6 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 2 medium carrots, bias-cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red or green sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- Hot cooked noodles
- Dairy sour cream or yogurt
- Hungarian paprika (optional)
Directions1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine meat, carrots, onions, and garlic. In a small bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, the 1 tablespoon paprika, the lemon peel, salt, caraway seeds, black pepper, and bay leaf. Stir into vegetable and meat mixture in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours.
3. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in sweet pepper strips. Cover and cook for 30 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve with hot cooked noodles. Top with sour cream or yogurt. If desired, sprinkle with additional paprika.