- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 to 6 hours (low) or 2 1/2 to 3 hours (high)
- Servings: 2 servings
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 15-ounce can white kidney beans (cannellini beans) or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green sweet pepper
- 1/2 of a small fresh jalapeño chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped tomato (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onion (optional)
- 2 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 ounce) (optional)
Directions1. Lightly coat an unheated medium skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in hot skillet; drain off fat.
2. In a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, drained beans, broth, onion, sweet pepper, chile pepper, cumin, oregano, white pepper, and garlic.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. If no heat setting is available, cook for 4 to 5 hours.
4. If desired, sprinkle individual servings with tomato, green onion, and cheese.