- Servings: 8 - 10
- 12 cups Whole Wheat Herb-Focaccia, cut into 1" cubes and dried
- 4 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup vegan chicken flavored seasoning, optional
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, diced and washed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2-2 cups diced celery, about 3 large stalks
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tsp minced fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled and diced
- 1 cup chopped, peeled roasted chestnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
DirectionsPreheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small sauce pan, heat vegetable stock just to a simmer and whisk in vegan chicken flavored seasoning. Remove from heat and set aside.
Add focaccia croutons to a large bowl and set aside.
Heat a large saute pan on medium-low and add olive oil, leeks, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, sage, rosemary, poultry seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste and saute for about 7-10 minutes until soft. Add diced apples and cook about 3 minutes longer. Turn off heat and let cool to room temperature.
Add leek-onion-celery mixture to croutons, along with cranberries and chopped chestnuts and stir well to combine. Add two cups of vegetable stock and stir well. Let sit for a minute or so before adding another 1 cup of stock and stir well. Repeat adding about 1/2 cup of stock at a time until the croutons are soft, but still hold their shape. You want them to be moist, but not mushy or dry. Because my croutons are made with whole wheat, they are denser and I used the entire 4-1/2 cups veg stock. If you purchase store-bought croutons or use white bread you may use less veg stock.
Check for seasonings and add salt and pepper to taste if needed. Butter a 12x9 or similar size casserole dish with Earth Balance and spoon dressing into dish and distributing evenly. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the foil, rotate the dish and bake another 20-25 minutes until golden brown.