- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 1 pie
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats, finely ground
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 to 3 tablespoons very cold water
DirectionsCOMBINE flour, ground oats, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with water; blend together with a fork until mixture holds together.
SHAPE dough into ball; place on lightly floured sheet of wax paper. Top with additional piece of wax paper. Roll out dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Remove top sheet of wax paper and invert dough into 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Slowly peel away wax paper. Trim excess crust. Turn edge under; crimp as desired.
• Substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for a finer textured, flakier pie crust.
• Oats can be finely ground in a food processor or blender.
• This whole-grain pie crust is great with LIBBY'S® Famous or Lighter LIBBY'S® Pumpkin Pie filling found on VeryBestBaking.com. No need to prebake the crust. Just substitute this crust for the deep-dish pie shell called for in the recipe. Follow the temperatures and bake times stated in the recipe.
• To make two crusts, double all ingredients, follow procedure above and divide dough in half.
• If a prebaked crust is needed for your recipe, preheat oven to 400º F. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.