- Servings: 4
- 2-1/2-pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) brown or amber ale
- 1/4 cup Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 large onions, cut into eighths
DirectionsCoat beef with 1/3 cup flour. Brown beef slowly on both sides in hot oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan.
Combine ale, soy sauce and allspice; pour over beef. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 1 hour.
Turn beef over and add onions; simmer, covered, 1 hour longer, or until beef is tender.
Meanwhile, blend remaining 2 Tbsp. flour with 1/4 cup water.
Remove beef and onions to serving platter; keep warm. Pour pan juices into large measuring cup; skim off excess fat. Return 2-1/2 cups juices to pan; bring to boil. Gradually stir in flour mixture, cooking until gravy boils and thickens.
To serve, cut beef across grain into thin slices and serve with gravy.