- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Servings: 4
A traditional American comfort food which will certainly please all. Pairs well with nearly all meats and vegetables.
- 4 large russet potatoes, about a pound each
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 4 strips bacon
Directions1. Bake the potatoes. Preheat the oven to 400F. Scrub the potatoes clean under running water. Poke each potato in several places with the tines of a fork so that when the potatoes are cooking they don't explode. Rub the potatoes all over with a little olive oil. Place directly on the middle or top rack of the oven. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked through. They should give a little when pressed.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, cook the bacon strips in a frying pan on medium low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Let cool. Crumble.
3. Allow the potatoes to cool to touch. Slice the top third lengthwise off the potato. Use a spoon to scoop out the insides, forming a potato "canoe", leaving about 1/4 inch of potato on the skin.
4. Place the scooped out potato insides, sour cream, milk, cream, and butter into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. If you want a creamy texture, beat with an electric beater until desired consistency.
5. Mix in the extras with the potatoes. Reserve some of the extras to sprinkle on the tops of the potatoes. Spoon fillings into the potato shells. Sprinkle with extra toppings.
6. Heat oven to 350°F. Place potatoes on a roasting pan and bake 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.